Snack time! No, seriously. This is a great dish as a starter, but even better as a snack. Plus, no unhealthy preservative, artificial flavorings, or the guilt that comes along with scoffing down an entire bag of crisps.
It takes 5, maybe 10 minutes to throw together depending upon how organized you are, and you only need to check on the dish once. All in all I think it sounds like a good deal.
– 2 leeks
– 500g pleurotus mushrooms
– 1 tbs thyme
– 2 cloves garlic
– 1 tsp paprika
– salt & pepper to taste
– 5 tbs olive oil
– slice leeks into 5mm round discs.
– wash mushrooms & dry thoroughly.
– chop the garlic finely
– locate a baking tray large enough to lay all the mushrooms down flat without over lap.
– on the tray, place the leek slices down first, then layer over with the mushrooms.
– in a cup, add the oil, spices, garlic, salt & pepper
– drizzle over the mushroom & leeks
– turn heat in oven to 210C and place the tray on the middle rack.
– bake until golden & crisp on top, about 20 minutes.
– remove from the over, flip the mushrooms over & return for another 20 minutes.
1. to ensure crispy mushrooms, dry the mushrooms thoroughly. Mushrooms naturally have a high water content so leaving them moist prior to cooking leads to them boiling instead of crisping.
2. mushrooms generally go well with: thyme, tarragon, rosemary, parsley, chives & other earthy flavors.
I know this is a super short post, but snacks by definition are small portions so I think I’m keeping in sync here.
In other news, I’m thinking about making a lemon cake later this week. I’ve tried the recipe once before and I’m sure it will be welcome if shared.
….for more recipes from us, check out our archives here.