pistachio thumbprints

Midnight cookie cravings. Do you know how they come about? I do. Dinner was eaten hours ago, after which I slyly mention that I could go for something sweet. Hours later whilst I’m watching telly & Mel is hiding behind his computer screen, the thought of the sugary mystery starts creeping into Mel’s mind. It takes over like a planted seed that starts rapidly growing roots, worming into every inch of his conscious. The next thing he knows, he’s googling recipes that include some random ingredient we have stashed on the ‘treasure’ shelf, & he doesn’t have a clue why. Twenty minutes later, he’s in the kitchen pulling the ingredients off the shelf & yelling at me to go check his computer screen to make sure nothing has been over looked. Of course this is the point where I excitedly jot them down on the pink speech-bubble-shaped-post-its on the desk & run back to the kitchen to join him. At this point I’m about as hyper as a kid in a candy store & grinning my evil little grin from ear to ear. (my plan worked).

Do you want to know the truth? Most of the time it’s only 20% about the sweet tooth. What’s the other 80% I hear you ask? Well, it’s all about spending time in the kitchen with the giant. Granted we spend a lot of time in there together, but he specializes in savory & I’ve claimed the Land-of-Sugar as my domain. What this means is that even though we’re technically in the kitchen together, we’re usually on separate planets pushing each other out-of-the-way when we cross close enough to be drawn in the opposing forces’ gravitational field. Back to us cooking together though…

Cooking with him means a permanent smile on my face. Cooking with him means a mess in the kitchen. Cooking with him means something great is going to happen. Have I mentioned he’s a better cook than I am? I love cooking, believe me it makes every cell in me smile a big cheesy grin, but Mel? Mel has a natural talent. He has this ability to make everything seem like magic. Anyway, the only reason I’m with him is because he can cook. (at least that’s what I tell him). So, the moment you’ve all been waiting for.

Ingredients:
– 375g flour
– 180g icing sugar
– 130g ground pistachios
– 1.5 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp ground cardamom
– 0.5 tsp salt
– 2 tbs honey
– 120g unsalted butter (room temp)
– 1/2 cup almond oil
– 2 tbs rose water

Directions:
– preheat oven to 120C
– combine the wet ingredients in a bowl & whisk together.
– in another bowl, combine all the dry ingredients & properly mix.
– combine the wet & dry & knead into a dough. If the mixture is too sticky, add in flour 1 tbs at a time.
– on a greased tray lined with baking parchment, roll the dough into walnut sized balls and place 2 inches apart.
– using your thumb, press a dent into the middle of each cookie & then lightly press a whole pistachio into it.
– bake for 12-15 minutes or until the cookies are lightly golden.

I’d share instructions on how to store them, but I can almost promise that they will all be gone by morning. These cookies aren’t overly sweet, but they are completely delicious. I highly recommend them.

….for more recipes from us, check out our archives here.

Advertisements

share your thoughts if you want

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s