We’re throwing a small dinner party tonight, on an island. Did I forget to mention that we’ve been here since Thursday? Yea that’s right. It’s been all sleeping till noon, peach daiquiris at night, lots and lots of good food, the beach, plenty of sunshine… The only down side is the wind. It is incredibly windy here to the point where it’s a little on the annoying side. Yesterday, at the beach, we were blasted with sand for the whole two hours we were there. I had sand up my nose and in my ears, sand stuck to my scalp and trapped under my hair so it was impossible to get rid of. Lots of sand. Lots and lots of sand. It’s also making it kind of cold, and when it was 40C back in Athens I didn’t think to pack a sweater, only summer dresses, silly me. Oh well, I’m still on an island and loving it.
I digress though, back to the dinner party. We’re making a whole bunch of things, about half of them involving the BBQ pit. I’m talking an actual brick charcoal pit in the wall and not one of those big ugly metal contraptions. I’m going to be selfish also though. I’m only posting up one recipe per day. I know this is cheating slightly, but each are equally special and I don’t want them to get lost in the madness.
Right now I can’t decide whether it’s better to start with the scones I made for breakfast, the dessert, or one of the items for grilling.
Let me see now, probably better to start with a savory item since the last few posts have been on the sweeter side of life. We shall see, I’ve got till the end of this post to decide.
Let me also apologize in advance. The kitchen we’re working with is a little short on space & light. The pictures that we’ll be sharing are going to be more for guidance and less for the art. My apologies, this is an area I need to work on as a photographer. I’m trying I promise, I’m just really rusty.
So I decided that the place to begin is going to be with the bacon wrapped shrimp. They are incredible, I mean mouth wateringly delicious. I couldn’t get enough. They were marinated, wrapped with love & then cooked on the grill, I mean how much better can they get? Most importantly, they are so easy to make! Enough rambling though, here they are…
– 500g fresh jumbo shrimp
– 12 slices of bacon
– wooden skewers
– 12 cherry tomatoes
– 1 lime, juiced
– 1 tsp cayenne
– 1 tbs chopped ginger
– 1 tsp dijon mustard
– 3 tbs olive oil
– 2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
– 1 lemon, zested
– combine the shrimp, lime juice, lemon zest, cayenne, ginger, mustard, oil & parsley in a bowl, cover & leave to marinate over night.
– the next day, soak the wooden skewers in water for 10 minutes.
– cut each of the bacon strips in half as well as all of the cherry tomatoes.
– take a shrimp & wrap it in half a bacon strip, place two skewers through the shrimp approx 1cm apart, next put on half a cherry tomato & then repeat the process.
– you should have around 3 shrimp & 3 cherry tomatoes per skewer. Allow a little room between the shrimp & the tomatoes to allow the bacon to become nice & crispy all the way around.
– place the skewers on the BBQ & grill 5 minutes on each side.
– serve hot.
….for more recipes from us, check out our archives here.