I plan on trying to post up a fair few cupcake designs & flavors. Most of them will start with a basic vanilla cupcake recipe. I’m sharing mine here as well as ways to alter it so as not to write & re-write the recipe every time I publish a post that needs it.
To alter the cupcake takes very little…. substitutions have been given
Ingredients, base: (makes 12)
– 100g butter, room temp
– 150g sugar
– 15ml oil
– 2 eggs
– 180g flour
– 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 150ml heavy cream
– 1 tsp vanilla
1. on medium heat, bring the cream to a simmer along with the tea bags. Remove from the stove & allow to steep for 30 minutes. When removing the tea-bags, squeeze all of the liquid out of them before discarding.
2. cream together the butter, sugar & oil until light & fluffy.
3. add the eggs one at a time & beat until fully incorporated.
4. sift the flour, spices, baking powder & salt together in a bowl.
5. add the dry ingredients & cream to the sugar & egg. This will be done in 4 editions alternating between wet & dry.
6. pre-heat the oven to 170°C & bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
7. allow to cool thoroughly before icing.
– 30g blueberries
– 2 blueberry tea, tea bags
1. heat the milk & steep the tea bags for 30 minutes until the milk is cooled. Strain the tea-bags & discard. Continue on with the vanilla recipe as instructed.
2. Stir in the blueberries at the very end just before dividing the batter into the cupcake tin.
Vanilla & marshmallow cupcake:
– marshmallow fluff
1. once the vanilla cupcake has cooked & cooled, cut a hole in the top & spoon in a teaspoon of marshmallow fluff. Replace the lid & then ice.
– 1 lemon, zest
– 1 tsp lemon extract
1. substitute the lemon extract for the vanilla.
2. add the lemon zest in the first step with the flour.
– 90g raw skinless almonds, finely ground
– 1 tsp almond extract
1. substitute 90g of the flour, with the ground almonds.
2. substitute the almond extract for the vanilla.
– 30g raspberry pieces, fresh or frozen
1. follow the vanilla cupcake recipe & add stir in the raspberries at the very end.
Pink champagne cupcake:
– 40ml pink champagne
1. substitute 40ml of the heavy cream, and replace it with the pink champagne.
2. omit the vanilla extract from the recipe.
– 90g cashews, ground
1. substitute 90g of the flour with the cashews.
Peanut butter cupcake:
– 75g smooth peanut butter
1. substitute 75g of the butter, with the peanut butter.
…for other recipes from us, check out our archives.