This recipe is a two parter. First & foremost, we have the amazing mixed veggy crisps that are just to die for. All the crisps you see in the image, plus another batch were consumed entirely by myself. And I don’t usually eat crisps.
Next you’ve got to take into account the salmon, cream cheese & chives sandwich. Everybody loves one of those. Those who don’t, will love this one.
That’s all from me tonight…. it’s been an incredibly long day & I just don’t have it in me to show anything more than the magic that’s already been shared. xxx
– 200g smoked salmon
– 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
– 1 tbs freshly chopped dill or chives
– 2 tbs lemon juice
– 4 tbs cream cheese
– 1 loaf french bread
– pepper to taste
1. combine the cream cheese, dill/chives, pepper & lemon in a bowl & stir well.
2. assemble the sandwich according to how ‘stuffed’ you want it.
3. if you like a little crunch in your bite, slice the cucumber a little thicker.
Ingredients, veggy crisps:
– 2 sweet potatoes
– 2 carrots
– 2 parsnips
– 2 beet roots
– lots of frying oil
Directions, veggy crisps:
1. wash & peel all veggies. Using a mandolin, thinly slice all veggys into discs.
2. keep each vegetable in a separate bowl after chopping as each will have a slightly different cooking time.
3. sprinkle all the veggies with salt ensuring all are covered & leave for 15 minutes before frying.
4. drain any liquid from each of the bowls (especially from the beet roots).
5. bring a wide pot of oil to 180°C.
6. fry the vegetables in small batches, ensuring that there is no overlap, stirring often so as they do not adhere to one another.
7. fry for 3 to 5 minutes, or until they start to darken. Watch them closely as it is very easy to burn them.
8. transfer to paper towel & dab dry. Allow to cool until fully crisped.
1. some of the vegetables will not become crispy while frying, this will happen as they cool.
…for more recipes from us, check out our archives.