You know those days that just seem rotten? Today is most certainly one of them. I mean I feel really, really rotten right now. Writing this post is causing me physical pain, really. The thing is, I can’t stop myself.
After a really hideous day, all I want to do it curl up & eat something exquisite. Something that combines creamy brie, sweet pear, bitter radicchio, toasted walnuts & a light vinaigrette. That’s exactly what makes me feel better right now.
Yes, I’m having a “woe is me” day completely. I left work early due to a pounding headache brought on by the illness that is descending on me. By the time I got home, all I wanted to do was eat… but who wants to cook in a messy kitchen?? So, I cleaned up. During the process of washing the dishes, I managed to shatter a wine glass whilst my hand was inside it & managed to slice my poor little finger open down to the bone. It’s not a long cut, but it’s deep. Now my finger looks like a sausage, you know, one of those little vienna ones. Poor thing.
I did have an up moment though. I had my driving lesson later on & found an error on the digital test. The first time I got the question wrong, I put it down to misreading the question. The second time, I carefully read my choices & chose the only logical answer since the other two were clearly wrong…. based again on the wording. When I failed it the second time my instructor began to show me an engine & how it works, of course I threw a temper tantrum & insisted that I hadn’t gotten it wrong because I was stupid, but rather because the test was inaccurate. Together we each reset the test over & over again until we came to the right question. You want to know something? I was right, there was an error in the test!
Oh, how I love my little wins.
My day got better though. Talking about this salad, this mouth-watering grilled pear, radicchio & brie salad just makes me melt. What is it about grilled brie with fruit? Moments like this make me love Mel a little more. I swear, the way to my heart is clearly through my stomach. So here it is, the symphony preformed for my taste-buds. If you enjoy it even half as much as I did, I know that you’ll love it.
– 6 tbs sunflower oil
– 3 tbs cider vinegar
– 3 tbs maple syrup
– pinch salt & pepper
1. add all ingredients in a cup & use an electric mixer to combine until the oil has emulsified. Set aside until ready to use.
Ingredients, salad: serves two
– 2 williams pears
– 1 radicchio
– 150g brie
– 50g walnuts, chopped
1. bring a griddled skillet to medium heat. quarter the radicchio, coat in oil & add to the pan. Cook, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove & set aside.
2. quarter the pears & remove the seeds. Coat in oil & add to the pan, 3-4 minutes per side. Remove & set aside.
3. using an oven safe plate or shallow dish, assemble the pear & radicchio quarters & add a slice of brie on top of each.
4. put the plate under the grill in the oven for approx 4 to 5 minutes or until the cheese starts to melt & brown a little.
5. remove from the oven, sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper, walnuts & drizzle with the desired amount of vinaigrette.
This salad can be served on a bed of spicy fresh rocket & accompanied with caramelized onion if desired. We didn’t do this today as we were a little disorganized, but I’m just putting it out there as an option.
…for more recipes from us, check out our archives.