I don’t know what happens in the rest of the world, but in Greece, I know that the arrival of street vendors selling hot roasted (and slightly burnt) chestnuts means that winter is finally here. For those of you that follow me on twitter or facebook, you’ll know that I’ve been gorging myself on these fantastic gems for a couple of months now. I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to share this recipe, but realistically I couldn’t stop stuffing my face with the real things long enough to put my fingers to the keyboard.
Can someone please tell me if they have the same more-ish addiction with these that I have? You know what, I love them when they’re a little burnt too….. they get a little crunchy & caramelized… FANTASTIC!
Anyway, if you love the chestnuts like I love the chestnuts, then you should probably try this recipe… plus it’s gluten free.
Ingredients, cupcakes: makes 18
– 435g chestnut puree
– 6 eggs
– 100g sugar
– 75g light brown sugar
– 200g ground almonds
– 1 tsp baking powder
1. whisk the eggs & sugar together until light & fluffy. Beat the chestnut puree until smooth & then fold into the egg mixture.
2. fold in the almonds & baking powder.
3. spoon the mixture evenly into a lined cupcake tin & bake for 25-35 minutes @ 175ºC or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
4. allow to cool completely before icing.
Ingredients, chocolate ganache:
– 200g dark chocolate 70%
– 125g heavy cream, full fat
– 30g butter, unsalted & room temp
– 1 tsp honey
Directions, chocolate ganache:
1. heat the cream & chocolate together in a double boiler or the microwave until the chocolate is completely melted.
2. remove from the heat & add the butter & honey.
3. allow to cool & set…. this may take a few hours (you can speed up the process by putting it in the fridge but make sure to give it a good stir every 20 minutes or so.)
Instructions, decoration: optional
1. ice the cupcakes by hand using a pallet knife.
2. top with chocolate shavings.
3. sprinkle with gold, edible glitter
…for more recipes from us, check out our archives.