People occasionally ask us why our site is called ‘whatever’s left’ when our recipes often need extensive shopping lists. This weekend I had completely ignored our sites needs and ended up on Sunday having bought no supplies at all. One of the things always present in my grandmothers fridge is cheese and butter, and I am bound to find some flour somewhere, so this is what I came up with in a true “whatever’s left” spirit.
These balls are crunchy, cheesy, and so easy to make!
Eagerly awaiting Lauren’s return for her amazing pictures…( I’m back :)
– 1 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
– 1 cup finely grated regato cheese
-1 1/2 cup flour
– 150gr butter cut in small cubes
– 1tsp ground three pepper mix
1. Combine everything in a mixing bowl and work with your hands until everything is incorporated and a dough is formed.
2. Form small balls (a bit smaller than ping-pong balls) and arrange on a baking parchment lined baking tray. Chill in the fridge for 30 mins.
3. Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C for about 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
1. I wasnt patient, neither with the chilling process, nor the preheating. So, instead of nice balls, I got flat cookies, which were perfectly fine if showing off was not your goal.
2. I used hard flour and I think it really gave them a nice consistency, just like my grandmother’s cookies, even though usually all-purpose or baking flour is used for baking.
…for more recipes from us, check out our archives.