We’re back to cookies. What can I say, they are completely & utterly comfort food, and man, do I need something comforting.
I’ve been back in Athens for a week & a half now, almost two. That’s 13 days. 312 hours. 18,720 minutes. I wont tell you the seconds, that’s far too obsessive (1,123,200…. in case you were wondering). Yea, I’ve been counting.
Don’t get me wrong, I love Greece. Like, I love Greece. We’re involved. Right now though, right this very minute, I think it’s falling apart. You know, just like a force of destruction caving in on itself. Not to mention that I’ve been away from my sisters for one million, one hundred twenty-three, two-hundred seconds. Give or take a few thousand.
What can I say, I’m lost without them.
Still, there is always a positive side. There’s Mel(anie). There’s my fantastic job where I make things that taste incredible & look even better. Of course, there’s also mountains, sea-side, islands, and as of late, extreme weather conditions. So yea, Greece and I have a long lasting love affair. I’m just home sick for my sisters.
In times like this, I do what the rest of the world does. I turn to DIY projects & cookies right out of the oven. Chewy cookies. Warm, chewy cookies. Warm, chewy, gingery cookies. Oh my days… cookies. Sorry, I’m getting carried away. A recipe is in order, perhaps.
– 480g flour
– 4 tsp ginger
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 0.25 tsp ground nutmeg
– 0.25 tsp salt
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 170g unsalted butter, room temp
– 170g dark brown sugar
– 170g molasses
– 1 egg
– 1 tsp vanilla
– 60g sugar
– 185g white chocolate chips
1. combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt & baking soda in a bowl, whisk to aerate & distribute the ingredients, and then set aside.
2. in a bowl, combine the dark brown sugar & butter & beat on high for 5 minutes to cream them together. Add in the egg, molasses & vanilla & continue to beat until fully mixed.
3. beat in the dry ingredients until combined, but no more.
4. refrigerate the dough for four hours.
5. roll the dough into 3cm (1.5in) large balls & place on a backing sheet 5cm (2in) apart.
6. in a preheated oven, bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes @ 175°C (350°F).
7. remove from the oven & immediately, press 4 or 5 chocolate chips into the centre of each cookie. Allow to cool a little more before eating.
…for more recipes from us, check out our archives.