This dish is found everywhere in Greece and the smokey eggplant flavor steals the show. It’s in simple dishes like this that the basic flavor of an ingredient can shine and therefore the quality of the produce must be top. Paired with a rustic farmers style bread a few olives and feta cheese you get a perfect example of Mediterranean flavors. Sure you can bake them with the feta cheese, layered with some tomato and onion but trust me less is more.
– 12 eggplants
– 4 red bell peppers
– 2 tbs mayo or yogurt
– 1/2 lemon juiced
– 2 garlic cloves pressed through a crusher
– 3 tbs olive oil
– 1 or 2 tbs cider vinegar
– 3 tbs chopped parsley
– salt and pepper to taste
1. Poke holes throughout the eggplant with a toothpick, place under a grill and roast until the skin is literally burnt, about 20 mins per side.
2. all the eggplants to cool before scooping all the flesh into a mixing bowl discarding the burnt layer of skin. You will find that the skin separates easily from the flesh.
3. Toss the peppers with oil and bake in an oven at 220ºC until parts of the skin start burning, about 15 minutes per side. Peel skin off, remove seeds and chop finely. Place them into the mixing bowl too.
4. Mix in the remaining ingredients, stir, taste for salt and pepper, and chill for at least an hour.
5. Serve with some olive oil and parsley on top for decoration.