It’s been a cold & rainy month spent largely on the couch watching lots & lots of movies. Truth be told, we all need snacks when curled up on the couch. Eating an entire jar of nutella with a spoon feels far too sinful to be qualified as a snack…. so I made the next best things. Hazelnut & milk chocolate bars on a chocolate shortbread base.
– 100g sugar
– 100g hazelnuts
– 300g flour
– 50g cacao
– 220g unsalted butter, cold & cubed
– 1 egg yolk
1. combine the hazelnuts & sugar in a food processor & process until fine. Add in the rest of the ingredients & process until a dough forms.
2. press the dough into a 30cm x 20cm pan that has been greased & lined with parchment. Bake for 30 minutes @ 170°C.
3. allow the base to cool completely before proceeding to the next step.
– 500g hazelnuts
– 50g sugar
– 75g unsalted butter
– 600g condensed milk
1. toast the hazelnuts in the oven for 15 minutes @ 140°C. Set aside to cool.
2. combine the sugar, butter & milk in a heavy based saucepan & cook over medium heat until thick & fudgy & slightly golden. Make sure to stir continuously so as it does not burn on the bottom of the pan.
3. pour the caramel over the prepared base & then sprinkle on the hazelnuts evenly, pressing them slightly into the caramel.
4. allow to cool completely before proceeding to the next step.
– 300g milk chocolate
1. melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. With a rubber spatula, spread in an even layer over the hazelnuts & caramel.
2. allow to cool for several hours in the fridge until the chocolate is hard. Remove from the pyrex before cutting into large squares.