There’s been a trend in the shop lately that people seem to want the most sugary cupcakes they can find. Anything that is named after a chocolate bar or even remotely resembles one, and it flies off the shelves faster than Superman.
How perfect then that when I was asked to make a ‘special’ for the shop, that the idea of s’mores popped into my head. Start of with a chocolate base…. nothing too sweet or rich mind you since that will come into play after. Stay with me now, you’re going to bake a cookie, right inside of the cupcake! Yea? Still with me? Last but not least, you’re going to whip up a batch of marshmallow icing.… & then toast it.
Ingredients, cookie dough: (makes 24)
– 226g unsalted butter, room temp
– 180g light brown sugar
– 230g sugar
– 2 eggs
– 15ml (1tbs) vanilla extract
– 560g flour
– 1 tsp salt
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 370g dark chocolate chips, 70%+
Directions, cookie dough:
1. combine the butter & sugar in a bowl & cream them together with a beater until light & fluffy. Add in the eggs & vanilla & continue to beat until once again the mixture is light & fluffy.
2. add in the flour, salt, baking powder & flour & beat until just combined, no more. Add in the chocolate chips & fold them in until evenly distributed.
3. form small balls, roughly the size of green olives. Set aside & proceed onto the next step.
– 90g flour
– 30g cocoa
– 140g sugar
– 40g unsalted butter, room temp
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 120g milk
– 1 egg
Directions, cupcakes: (makes 9)
1. combine the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder & butter in a bowl & beat with an electric mixer until the butter is thoroughly combined & the mix resembles wet sand.
2. beat the egg & the milk together & then pour into the cupcake batter 1/2 at a time. Beat thoroughly before adding the second batch of milk. Once incorporated, continue to beat for an additional 2 minutes to aerate the mixture.
3. place a ball of cookie dough at the bottom of each cupcake casing & then cover it with 1/4 cup of cupcake batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 170°C.
Ingredients, icing: (ices 12)
– 2 large egg whites (approx. 55g)
– 165g sugar
– 80g light corn syrup
– 1 pinch salt
– 2 tsp vanilla extract
1. combine the egg whites, sugar, corn syrup & salt in a double boiler & beat on low speed until all the sugar has dissolved. You can test for this by sticking your finger onto the bottom of the bowl & feeling for sugar crystals. Once dissolved, remove from the heat & continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
2. beat in the vanilla, and then spoon the mixture into a pipping bag fitted with a tip of your choice. Pipe the mixture onto the cooled cupcakes.
3. preheat an oven to 250ºC and place the cupcakes inside for 1-3 minutes. Keep an eye on them & remove them ones they start to turn a little golden. Allow to cool a little before eating.
…for more recipes from us, check out our archives.