Recently I was given some rather unsettling news. Maybe unsettling isn’t strong enough a word, maybe I need to be downright honest & tell you that it was actually kind of devastating…. although in hindsight I shouldn’t be surprised, I think I knew it all along.
I’m allergic to gluten! There, I said it.
I know, this really shouldn’t be that big of a deal…. except I’m a pastry chef, it’s kind of a HUGE deal. Do you have any idea what it’s like being surrounded by freshly baked goods and not being able to touch a single one. Granted it’s helping out my self control, but it’s torture. Not to mention that I can’t try a single one of the new recipes I make. I have to just sit there & watch everyone else enjoy while they chew & “mmmm“, and “aaaaa”, and “yummy“.
Until of course I did something about it…….. I took my favorite chocolate cookie recipe of all time & removed the flour…. then I did something even more genius & replaced the flour with almond meal & shredded coconut. None of you, not a single one can picture how big the smile on my face was when I sat there eating one cookie after another. It was like being a kid all over again. Kind of amazing.
Any way…. I think maybe I should share my incredible invention.
– 50g unsalted butter
– 300g dark chocolate, 70%+
– 0.5 tsp salt
– 2 eggs
– 70g light brown sugar
– 100g dark brown sugar
– 5 ml vanilla extract
– 60g almond meal
– 60g shredded coconut
– 0.5 tsp baking powder
– 150g dark chocolate chips, 56%
1. melt the butter & chocolate together in a heat proof bowl.
2. add the eggs, vanilla, light & dark brown sugar to a bowl & beat until combined. Pour in the melted chocolate & butter & beat until blended.
3. fold in the almond, coconut & baking powder, and then the chocolate chips. Try not to over mix.
4. in a preheated oven, bake the cookies for 12 minutes @ 175ºC.
…for more recipes from us, check out our archives.