We’re back to lemons again. Lemon bars too for that matter. I’m calling them “squares” this time though, just to ensure that you know they are different.
It’s summer, at least it is here. 32°C outside more than counts as beautiful summer weather. With the weather change comes a change in cravings. People stop going for the heavy, dense, comforting flavors of winter that warm them from their toes into their souls. Instead, we crave fresh, light, fruity flavors that scream “I’ve been grown in the sunshine!!!!! Eat me!“.
Actually, come to think of it, all the flavors I’ve put in here remind me of my past.
Drinking coconut milk out of coconuts we cracked open ourselves on the beach in Dubai. Picking wild blueberries on our farm in Montreal. The smell of the newly blossomed flowers on the lemon trees in our back garden here in Greece. Each & every smell & taste just flood me with memories.
Yea, I think these lemon, coconut & blueberry squares just flood me with happiness right now.
I hope they make you as happy as they’ve made me.
– 55g icing sugar
– 115g gluten-free flour
– 50g raw, skinless almonds
– 50g shredded coconut
– 120g unsalted butter, room temp
1. combine the sugar, flour, almonds & coconut in a food processor & process until the almonds have become a fine powder. Add in the butter & pulse until the dough comes together.
2. press the dough into a 20x20cm square baking tin that has been greased & lined with baking parchment. Bake in a preheated oven for 25-30minutes @ 170°C.
3. whilst baking, proceed onto the next step. Make sure to pour the filling on top of the base as soon as it comes out of the oven.
– 100ml lemon juice
– 90ml coconut milk
– 1 lemon, zest
– 6 eggs
– 375g sugar
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 75g blueberries
– 100g shredded coconut
1. combine the eggs & sugar in a bowl & bean on high until the eggs begin to lighten a little. Add in the zest, juice & baking powder & beat until blended. Stir in the blueberries last.
2. when the base is ready & has just been pulled out of the oven, pour the filling on top & then evenly sprinkle the shredded coconut on top of that. Return to the oven & bake for a further 20-25 minutes @ 175ºC.
3. allow the bars to cool before cutting into them.
…for more recipes from us, check out our archives.
……………..if you’re not a fan of gluten-free, or coconut then skip back to our original lemon bars we made a while back.