Summer is here! It’s finally here.
There’s something about all of that amazing sunshine that just makes you smile for no apparent reason. Who knew a little vitamin D could give you so much joy. Go figure.
With the arrival of summer, comes the arrival of watermelons! Oh yes, I am indeed excited.
Especially since I get to make these :)
Listen, if you don’t want to go through all the energy of the design, you should still make the cupcake itself. It’s yummy. Very yummy.
Ingredients, cupcake: (makes 9)
– 120g flour
– 40g butter
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 140g sugar
– 130g watermelon puree
– 1 egg
– 10g dark chocolate chips (optional for the effect of ‘seeds’)
– pink gel food paste (optional if going to the watermelon look, add till desired shade is reached)
1. combine the flour, butter, baking powder & sugar in a bowl & beat until it looks like sand. Add half of the watermelon puree & beat until smooth.
2. with the remaining half of watermelon puree, add the egg & food colouring & beat. Pour the mixture into the batter & beat until smooth & for an additional two minutes. If going for the watermelon look, stir in the chocolate chips afterwards.
3. using a 1/4cup measuring cup, fill your cupcake papers. Bake in a preheated oven for 20-24 minutes @ 165°C. Allow to cool before icing.
– 300g icing sugar
– 200g butter
– 90g watermelon puree
– dark green food gel (optional)
1. combine the butter & sugar in a bowl & cream together. Add in the watermelon puree & beat until smooth.
2. if going for the watermelon look, tint your icing to a medium green. Fit a pipping bag with a round piping tip, and on the inside of the bag, streak some more of the green food gel paste in lines on the plastic (or fabric if you use reusable bags). Fill the piping bag with the icing, and pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.
…for more recipes from us, check out our archives.
……..for more designed work from us, check out our designed page.