Here is a very good tip when it comes to making truffles….
Do not attempt to make them in the middle of summer when it’s 35C outside & you have no air-conditioning!
Take it from me, I learnt the hard way. I was a big ball of melted chocolate mess. I had to keep returning my ganache to the freezer so it would firm up, but of course my hands were so warm that when I tried to roll the filling it just melted all over my hands.
These are fine to make if you live in London or somewhere else that has an equally cool (if not cooler) climate. Or in fall. Or winter. Or spring.
Not summer though.
Certainly not greek summer.
Still, they were for a gift. It was worth the mess.
– 700g dark chocolate 70%
– 125g heavy cream
– 45g butter
– 20g lavender honey
– 1 tbs dried lavender flowers
– 50g white chocolate
– lavender food colouring
1. in a small pot, combine the heavy cream & lavender buds & bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from the heat & allow the buds to steep for half an hour until the cream is cool. Use a strainer to remove the buds.
2. in a double boiler, combine the cream & 300g dark chocolate. Stir the mix until all the chocolate has melted. Remove from the heat & add in the butter & honey. Continue to stir until all the butter has melted & thoroughly mixed in. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes or until firm.
3. using a spoon, scoop out chunks of the chocolate ganache & roll into balls roughly 2cm wide. Once all the balls have been rolled, place on a parchment sheet & return to the freezer for 15 minutes until firm.
4. in the mean time, melt the rest of the dark chocolate in a double boiler. Once melted, remove the truffle fillings from the freezer & begin to dip the truffles. For the easiest way to dip check out this video by cakepalate on youtube. Once dipped, return to the freezer one last time for 10 minutes or so just so the shell firms up.
5. to decorate the truffles, melt the white chocolate & tint it with the lavender colouring to the desired shade. Fill a pipping bag with the chocolate & just prick the end. Drizzle over the truffles.
6. keep in the fridge until they are ready to be eaten.
…for mroe recipes from us, check out our archives.
………for more gluten-free recipes, check out our gluten-free archives.