You know those moments where you’re sitting, looking at a recipe & thinking to yourself “my god that’s a lot of butter”.
You sit there scratching your head & wondering about whether or not you should reduce it, replace it with oil, or maybe find some other substitute for it.
Don’t. Just don’t to it.
Instead what you should do is take out a calculator & divide it by the number of portions the recipe says it’s going to make & just plane realize that realistically speaking, when it comes right down to it, it really isn’t all that much.
I tried to do that earlier in the week. I was looking at one of my old recipes thinking about how I could adapt it into something new & gluten-free, maybe even put a healthy spin on it by throwing in some whole oats, so I cut out almost half of the butter & sugar.
Big mistake. I should have taken my own advice.
Actually, I sat there looking at the by product & wondering “what in the world have I done?!”.
I can’t accept failures as failures though. They down-right irritate the living daylights out of me. So I worked myself up into a fluster, went out & topped up on all the ingredients I’d run out of, & today I finally got my butt back in the kitchen to make things right!
Oh, and did I ever make them right!!!! I even threw in some fresh blackberries… mmm mmm mmm.
Ingredients: (makes 24-26)
– 200g buckwheat flour
– 200g gluten-free white bread flour mix, Dove’s Farm
– 200g gluten-free whole oats
– 1.5 tsp baking powder
– 1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
– 1.5 tsp salt
– 190g unsalted butter, room temp
– 300g dark brown sugar
– 2 tsp vanilla extract
– 3 eggs, room temp
– 500g full fat greek yogurt, room temp
– 200g blackberries
– 300g cream cheese, room temp
– 60g sugar
– 2 eggs
– 1 tsp lemon juice
– 1 pinch salt
1. line two muffin trays with paper linings & set aside. Preheat the oven to 175°C.
2. in a bowl, combine the buck wheat flour, white-bread flour, oats, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda & salt. Make sure all the ingredients are mixed & evenly distributed & then set aside.
3. either with a standstill mixer or a handheld mixer, cream together the butter & brown sugar until pale & fluffy (about 5 minutes). Add in the eggs & vanilla, & once again beat until light & fluffy.
4. fold in half of the yogurt until just combined, followed by half the flour mix until just combined & repeat with the remaining flour & yogurt. Lastly, fold in the blackberries & gently fold in so as not to squash the berries.
5. using a 1/3 measuring cup, leveled, fill each of the muffin cases.
6. in another bowl, combine the cream cheese & sugar & beat until fluffy. Add in the egg, lemon juice & salt & beat until incorporated.
7. using a 1 tbs measuring spoon, spoon in the cream cheese mixture on top of each one of the muffins. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with sugar & oats before placing in the oven.
8. bake for 22 – 27 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of one of the muffins comes out clean.
9. allow to cool before eating.