This is my birthday cake.
I am absolutely, 100%, not ashamed to say that I baked my very own cake.
Mel’s been making fun of me since last week. He keeps telling me that a person absolutely should not be making their own cake. He might be right.
I on the other hand absolutely insist that it’s not a birthday unless there is cake. Which presents me with a problem. There are no gluten-free bakeries on the island, & other peoples ovens make me nervous. I want a reaction-free cake. Then there’s the problem that Mel’s no baker. Which leaves me with my one & only options of….. You guessed it… ME!
I had wanted a cherry & amaretto cake since I’m absolutely addicted to the combination at the moment…. but I’m a moron & forgot that cherries were out of season. Didn’t want chocolate. I feel like all I ever do it use chocolate. Carrot cake I’ve made countless times. So, what else? Banana? No, Eirini doesn’t like banana. Vanilla? Too boring. Fruity. But not peach.
Lucky for me, I love the colour purple & always have blueberries in my freezer. Problem solved. Blueberry cake for Lauren.
Don’t make fun. I put my age on it too. Yeah, I’m a bit of a strange one. Enjoy the recipe!!!
As for me, I special ordered the harvest moon tonight & it should be arriving here in an hour. How’s that for a birthday present!
– 300g frozen blueberries, thawed
– 250g light brown sugar
– 200g unsalted butter, room temp
– 4 large eggs, room temp
– 100g quinoa flour
– 100g almond flour
– 100g gluten-free all purpose white flour
– 1.5 tsp baking powder
– 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
– 1 tsp xanthan gum
– 0.25 tsp salt
– 0.5 tsp cinnamon
1. pre heat the oven to 175C. Grease & line two 20cm cake tine with parchment & set aside.
2. in a large bowl, combine the blueberries, sugar, butter & beat until the blueberries have been completely mashed. Add the eggs one at a time & beat between each addition.
3. in a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients & whisk to combine. Add half the dry ingredients to the wet & beat until everything has been incorporated. Add in the rest of the dry ingredients & beat until you have a nice, smooth batter.
4. divide the batter evenly between your two prepared cake tins & bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of one of the cakes comes out clean. Remove from the oven & allow to cool completely.
– 250g heavy cream
– 100g icing sugar
– 100g cream cheese
– 0.25 tsp vanilla extract
1. combine the icing sugar & heavy cream & beat together until stiff peaks. Fold in the cream cheese & vanilla.
2. spread the filling on top of one of the cooled cakes, & then place the second cake on top of it. Make sure it’s centred.
If you liked the recipe, go check out our KICKSTARTER project for an upcoming Gluten-Free Cookbook!
****the cake could be complete here! If you feel you want an additional layer of sweetness or decoration though, proceed onto the buttercream.
– 200g unsalted butter, room temp
– 400g icing sugar
– 50g thawed blueberries
1. combien all the ingredients in a large bowl & beat for 3 to 5 minutes until thoroughly creamed, light & fluffy. Spread the butter cream on the outside of the cake & enjoy.
*** the cake should last for up to a week in the fridge. However, it should always be brought to room temperature before serving to ensure it is at its best.
*** you can use fresh blueberries instead of frozen. I personally prefer them frozen because the freezing process breaks down the cell walls & makes the berries mushier, making them easier to blend.
……..for a full history of our recipes, check out our archives. For the more sensitive tummies, check out our gluten-free archives….. and if you’re just interested in something pretty, check out our designed page.